email: mallen@starkehistory.com

CALIFORNIA TOWNSHIP

SCHOOL

 

1930

1850s to 1930

The old one-room schools and the property they sat on were sold by the Township Trustee, Clyde Mosher, in 1932.

 

The Starke County Republican, March 2, 1932

White School

Maple Grove  School

Spoor School

Benton Grove School

Aldine School - Frog Pond School

Bass (Station) School

Bass (Station) School - property was purchased and blue prints drawn, but a new Bass School was never built.

The Aldine School was also known as Frog Pond School because of a nearby swamp.

The Bass School was located at Bass Station a couple miles south of Bass Lake.

This memento was from the 1929—1930 school year and shows the teacher Vernita (Bortell) Sanders.

The sign says the Genesco School was 2 1/2 miles west of Bass Lake and 3 1/2 miles east of North Judson.

The Maple Grove School was built in 1902 and replaced the Shilling and Genesco Schools.

The White School, like many other one-room schools was located in three different locations. The 2nd school is pictured to the left and was located at 550 E. and 450 S.

The 3rd and last location is shown to the left and was located at 550 E. and 400 S.

Forrest White’s 1918-1919 1st Grade report card.

Fred White’s 1907 Reading Circle Certificate.

A 1908 White School memento lists the students and offers some end of school year wisdom.

This map shows the location of the township’s seven one-room wood frame schools as of 1901.

This map shows the location of the township’s seven one-room brick schools as of 1911.

Miss Bernice Short’s 1926 class is shown in the photo to the left.

The Lake Park School was relatively short lived. It was built in 1900 at the south end of Bass Lake and closed in 1916. Bertha Jain was the teacher in 1901-1902 as shown on this memento.